Sunday, January 18, 2009

Look, this is supposed to be fun....

Double booking is in theory- exciting- a little naughty, a little exciting, a little dangerous. In this theory you are wearing stiletto heals and a red dress. In theory you bat your eyelashes at one man only to leave them wanting more and arrive just a few minutes late for the next date only to have the wondering why you look a little flushed- naughty, fantastic, the stuff of a fem fatal.
Funny thing, theory.

Date 3, Guy 3
“Hi, it’s so nice to meet you! I love this bar, it’s a fantastic choice- have you been here before?”
“No.” (One word answer right off the bat- maybe he’s shy…?)
“I hear you’re a (insert relatively cool job here), have you always wanted that?”
“It’s steady and pays the bills.”
“Huh… and you have lots of opportunity to travel- you must enjoy that…?”
“I don’t travel much.”
45min later…
“Ok well thanks so much for the beer- it’s been great to get to know you (in theory) and hey- you got to explore a new bar!”
“Yeah, can I call you?”
Excuse me?
Ok Guy 3 these questions are designed to give you the opportunity to expand, tell stories, ask questions of your own- they are easy questions with answers like- “Nope, never been here but heard it was cool and has a great selection of beer... Funny thing about my job- I fell into it but I’m sticking with it for a while because… I’m a home body- love to explore the city/my apartment/my naval…something
You are looking at me, making good eye-contact, you even checked out the cleavage- score one for the girls- and it’s not as though I’m asking you to do complex mathematics.
Help a girl out!

Date 4 Guy 4
So, I’m early to the next venue of the day- big surprise- and make myself comfortable in a corner booth where I’m easily seen from the front door- My makeup is perfect (because lord knows I’ve had enough time to touch it up between dates), I’m arranged to look sexy, mysterious yet casual, I take a deep breath, toss my blonde hair over my shoulder... In walks Wicked Hot.
Minor panic attack- he is actually even hotter than I thought.
And he is frowning.
Ok, no problem- maybe he isn’t really frowning…
Nope, he’s frowning. Crap.
“Hey! This place is great! Your suit is fantastic! I’m pleased to meet you! I’m smiling like an idiot and over expressing excitement in an attempt to hide the fact that I’m very uncomfortable!” Stop talking….
“So, I hear they have great house drinks! I see a waitress over there!”
Please stop talking
At this point Wicked Hot is looking at me as though I’ve grown a second head.
He has also ordered a vodka- no mixers, no ice, just vodka.
“Wow! I’ve never been able to do that- drink just vodka before!”
Shut Up!
We stare at each other in painful silence for the 20 minutes it takes for us to get our drinks, drink them, and pay the bill.
“Well, thanks!” Ugh- still over expressing excitement…
“Just out of curiosity, what number am I?”
“What number?”
“What number on your goal of 100?”
“Oh! Your number 4!”
“Huh…”

No comments:

Post a Comment