Thursday, January 8, 2009

One Down


Date 1 Guy 1- Brit, his mum worries

It's a funny thing when you meet up with a stranger for drinks- there always seems to be this awkward moment of staring at each other and smiling sheepishly. It's usually the worst moment of the evening- the point at which you have to decide who is going to say what first. It's a painful 30 seconds that often ends with you and your date both blurting out some stupid question at the same time.
"So what do you do for a living...?"
"Did you see that the weather in Spokane is....?" neither one of you really hears what the other one is saying because you are so frantic to blurt out something.
"No, Go ahead...?" "No, you please..."
Ugh... so you smile again and pray the bartender will show up to take your order.
Lucky for me at the very beginning of Date 1, Guy 1 said "So... you know you are nuts?”
Yes, clearly I am. I'm also now relieved, relaxed, and smiling- you take a big risk telling a girl she is crazy right off the bat. Clearly #1 has some stones.
Charming and funny in a slightly self-deprecating sort of way. Thinks I'm nuts- and told me. Bonus points because I liked the honesty and he didn't seem too concerned about my status as crazy. Nice guy, fantastic accent and over all a good way to start off my year.
The warm and fuzzy moment- he asked why I had a band-aid on and then after studying the methodical way in which I had managed to manipulate it in an origami like fashion onto my finger he asked me put one on his finger in the same way- and wore a bright red bandage on his thumb for the rest of the night.

A word of warning should you find yourself in the bar of a particular fusion restaurant… The lounge looks amazingly comfortable, low slung and sexy, but take heed ladies, there is a very good chance for wardrobe malfunction. I found myself precariously perched on a leather cube made for hobbits (yes, I'm short but not that short), bashing my shins against the free-form metal table top, desperately trying to be moderately lady like and not flash the goods from under my skirt or have my boobs pop out while I'm leaning across the doll-sized table to reach for my drink. He kindly offered me the couch seat but since it was even lower than the cube I politely declined.
Thank you boarding school for teaching me how to sit without having a Hollywood starlet getting out of her car photo op. On the other hand it would have made a fantastic first impression…

1 comment:

  1. This is fantastic. You are crazy and I love you for it. Do you think you'll see him again? Am I allowed to ask that on the blog?

    ReplyDelete