Sunday, January 11, 2009


So I’m sitting in the living room today talking to The Roommate and a friend of his about my 100 when this phrase was uttered-
“You are going to ask out men too, yes?”
Oh lord the thought never really occurred to me. Sure there was some vague notion somewhere in the outer recesses of my mind that I might have to ask someone out but it didn’t really connect with the fact that I’m actually going to have to approach, hit-on and ask for numbers. I’m not talking about flirting my way getting him to ask me, or meeting up with a friend of a friend a few times until I can find some excuse to invite him out to do something, i.e.: “Oh by the way I just happen to have these two tickets to the game and you said you liked… umm… sports… so I thought you might want to go… with me?”. I’m talking about the thing that just thinking about it makes me want to call the entire thing off.
I’m going to have to go out on the prowl.
How is a girl- an average girl- supposed to do this? The two schools of thought seem to be 1- You are totally honest and say hi, I like you and I’d like to get your number so we can hang out, or 2- you don’t ask, they either ask you, or they aren’t interested. The first seems almost too aggressive and the second isn’t anything- literally.
My standard approach of “Hi stranger, help me carry all the drinks I just ordered for my friends?” smile, charm, batting of eyelashes- may no longer cut it.
And where do I go to do this? Is there a part of town that’s better for this than another? Are there rules? (In the Marina you can only be approached, but in the Mission it’s ladies choice?).
Crap.

2 comments:

  1. Well you better find out before Friday night!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well you better find out before Friday. And tell your roommates friend he needs to be more subtle with girls!

    ReplyDelete