Thursday, March 12, 2009

Three Bags Full...


Guy 6, Date 20

A bit of background. I’m a clothes horse. When you’re a big girl you have two options- you either learn what works well on your body, search it out and work every angle your curvy ass has within an inch of it’s life, or spend the rest of your life wearing a muumuu. I went that rout for a while- the muumuu rout that is- ok so it wasn’t exactly a muumuu- instead it was a series of sarongs and oversized sweaters pared with Doc Martin Mary-Jane’s- tragic I know and frankly I don’t recommend. Long story short, I’ve become a shopper. One of the things I’ve learned about shopping is you have to be selective about who you shop with. Friends can (in a misguided attempt at being kind) tell you something looks good when in reality you looked like an overstuffed polyester sausage. This is how I ended up with a black spandex mini halter dress. Worse, I wore the black spandex mini halter dress (with an equally atrocious pair of pink plastic heals) to a swanky party my parents threw one summer. I’m sure my parents were just thrilled I was out of the sarong stage however looking back at pictures I cringe. Those of you who know me can imagine the photo- Chubby sausage girl in hot pink heals with Mom (Martha Stuart) on one side and my dad (Colonel Sanders) on the other.
I think about that dress when I go shopping with friends now. I’ve become the queen of “I’ve seen you in better…” or the famous “Well… that should work but clearly the designer was on crack…try this on instead…” At the same I’m the first person to push for someone to buy something that looks spectacular. I throw things into dressing rooms, make people try things on they don’t like on the hanger and pay less attention to price tags than I probably should.
That said I don’t have that much experience shopping with guys I’m dating. So when Mr. Burley asked me to go shopping with him I had a moment of uncertainty. He told me he hated shopping. He said he was only going because he had a coupon and hadn’t gotten any new clothes in years.
But needed a few new things and wanted my opinion.
And I was ridiculously pleased about it- dumb I know…
And I had fun! (God I hope he had fun too...) I was charmed by him when he asked my opinion in the shoe department, I was excited when he found a jacket he liked… bonus I liked it too… and when he picked up a silly pair of shorts because jokingly I told him they were “simply a must” and they made me laugh he managed to lodge me into smitten kitten territory...
Damn… smitten kitten over Hula Girl Shorts and a pair of good lookin’ shoes…

No comments:

Post a Comment