Monday, October 19, 2009

Camp Ground Rules


In 3rd grade I was a Girl Scout (Ok, I made it as far as the Brownies but that's almost a Girl Scout). We earned badges and sang songs, sold cookies and roasted marshmallows over campfires- I was always a big fan of the cookies and marshmallow part- Regardless, we did Girl Scout stuff.
There were rules to being a Scout. You have to be nice to people, and help out your fellow girl and work hard in school (Mrs. Hawn also said we had to keep our rooms clean but I think she was taking creative licence with the rule book on that one).
In the summer we went to Scout Camp where we ran around like banshees and earned more badges and sang more songs and roasted more marshmallows. We set up tents and when making a camp fire by rubbing two sticks together didn't work, we always had Mrs. Hawn and her trusty Coleman Stove to save us.
And when we left Camp there was one rule we had to remember.
Camp Ground Rules- Leave it in better shape than you found it.
There is a point in a relationship when you can still get out with everyone keeping their fingers and toes. Usually it's when you can see down the road it isn't going to work but it's still working at the moment- before anyone leaves angry scarred and hurt. Before you say things you shouldn't or go too far. But if you time it right, after the sting of leaving has gone you might be able to be friends.
I've yet to manage this.
I have 93 Dates under my belt, 7 away from the illusive 100. Most of them have been with the same person and I could probably squeeze out the last 7 with him too but...
Maybe this time I can remember the Camp Ground Rules.

2 comments:

  1. That is a very intersting perspective..and perhaps one of the most adult decisions I've ever seen anyone make. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a good perspective and one of the most adult decisions I've ever seen made. This is an excellent post!

    ReplyDelete