Friday, November 13, 2009

Bring on the Queso!


When I mentioned where I was planning on going that evening my roommate literally gasped.
“Why on earth would you go down there?”
His faced wrinkled in horror because there are parts of town where locals just don’t go. There are some areas so frightening, just the mention of them strikes fear and revulsion into the heart of those who live in the city. An area the residents of San Francisco avoid with such single minded determination that most may have only stumbled there, “Once, years ago when I was trying to watch the fireworks…”
Guy 8 didn’t seem to bat an eye when I mentioned my plan- but he is from outside the city and may not have realized the horror I was about to subject him too. I’ve decided he’s very brave.
We were headed into the heart of Tourist Central.
Tourists as far as the eye can see- old ones, young ones, foreign and domestic, they all seem to show up wide eyed and cold (because they think they are in California -isn’t it always warm in California?), to see some of the historic sights- of which there are in reality only two (and I don’t think anyone pays attention to them).
So we played tourist. We went to an arcade- I got my butt handed to me in the worlds fastest game of air hockey. On the plus side I managed to hold my own on ski-ball (till the very end) and our combined ticket pile got us one temporary tattoo- a tooth gnashing dinosaur. Off to a museum of the odd filled with… well an odd mix of believe-it-or-not stories, wax figures and cheese-tastic pranks that had us both a little jumpy- ok had me a little jumpy but it was a nice excuse to hold hands again. Off to Indian food at one of my favorite spots (sports bar/curry house/Irish Pub), with a fantastic beer menu. Brave Guy 8 sat next to me rather than across the table (there is something very appealing about flirting with someone next to you while munching on Tikka Masala- I had no idea!).
And then we went for a walk.
And he kissed me.
And said he wanted to see me again.
I know, I know- after I dragged him into Tourist Central too!
Like I said, he’s very brave.
As for the temporary tattoo, I’m toying with putting it on as a tramp-stamp – I’m classy like that…

No comments:

Post a Comment