Friday, November 6, 2009

Coffee Talk


"You are seeing him again, right?"
"Well..."
"You have too!" "Oh Yes!" "He sounds sooo sweet!"
"Yes, he..."
The truth is I really don't know these women very well and I'm not totally comfortable spilling my guts to them (I know, I know, I write a blog- I spill my guts to anyone who wants to read it...). Lucky for me they really aren't interested in an answer.
"Did he call?" "Or Text?" "He didn't just send an e-mail did he?" "Oh that would be the brush-off." "Never text- too much opportunity for misinterpretation..."
"I..."
"Don't you think you're a little old for him?" " Leave her alone, your husband is six years younger!" "She's right, don't be so Age-est!"
"Oh god... ugh..."
Three sets of eyes stare at me from around the table...
"My dates this year..."
They blink...
"Well..."
They lean in... half a croissant crushes between the table and Mrs. R's t-shirt.
She doesn't even notice. Ms S nods her head as if encouraging me to continue. The future Mrs. E tilts her head to the side. Coffee cups poised mid-air.
I blink back- not really sure what to say. Maybe it's time for a change of tactics...
"We were going to go out tonight, but something came up..."
I realize this is the wrong tactic as soon as it's out of my mouth.
Here comes the look... Mrs. R's eyebrows go up, Ms. S makes a pained expression and the future Mrs. E whispers "Oh..." like she just stepped in something unmentionable...
Maybe, if I'm lucky the floor will swallow me.
"Well I'm sure it's nothing..." "These things happen all the time!" "You are Soooo cute and super fun... if it doesn't work out you'll can always..."
They laugh, nod at each other as if they've said something wise. Mrs R brushes crumbs off her blouse and I notice a grease spot in the green silk.
"Your hair looks fantastic!" "Sooo fantastic..." "Oh, thank you- I had it done yesterday..."
And just like that- I'm off the hook.


1 comment:

  1. Don't worry what others say. Listen to your heart and you will always be right!

    ReplyDelete