Friday, November 6, 2009

Date 94, Guy 8


I’ve never been known as a rebel. Sure, I’m comfortable in gray areas but a rule breaker? No. I like rules- even the ones I bend-because they give structure and when push comes to shove a little structure isn’t a bad thing.
…And there are rules to dating- rules I subscribe to because I have always felt they were useful and when in doubt, gave you an easy way to handle what could be a difficult situation.
So I went on Date #94 with a clear idea of what rules would be followed.
1. Have a set plan and stick to it- that way you have a very clear beginning and end to the date. (yeah…that one- not so much with the set plan)
2. Don’t go somewhere where it would be difficult to hear each other… (Like a Bart train… or a bar where the world series is playing?)
3. On first dates you should stick to neutral topics of conversation. No Politics ( humm… that didn’t happen...we were already talking politics on the first phone conversation…), No Religion ( oups… covered that in the first hour in the bar…), No past relationships ( damn… yeah broke that rule too…)
4. You should always stay lady like and maintain an air of dignity and grace…( I guess that shoe change in the middle of the street may have messed up that one… or maybe it was when I kept stacking napkin after napkin in my lap at dinner… or the hic-ups… )
5. Play your cards close to your chest- maintain a bit of mystery… (seriously? Because I was neither sneaky nor had much mystery… and he’s read the blog…)
Basic rules really- I broke every one.
And I didn’t care one bit.
Because when he smiled and talked about his pets, or laughed at my less than lady like moments, or brought me into a comic book store and passionately convinced me that they were more than “just comic books”, when he taught me to play chess in the middle of a bar and then took my hand on the bart ride home… breaking the rules didn’t seem all bad…
It felt a little rebellious… and I liked it.

No comments:

Post a Comment